Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Season's Greetings - Inlaid Die Cutting Technique

Hi Everyone!

I am excited to share with you a card that I made using the InLaid Die Cutting method! This is a technique that is new to me and it is definitely so much fun to make!! The basic premise is when die cutting something, you can use the negative space created to fill it in with the same die (perhaps colored, sponged etc.) so that the area of die cut is flat, but yet has that die cut feel to it - SO Cool!!! 

The main challenge is figuring out what comes in the foreground and what is in the background - and so what has to be die cut first and then sequentially - how to build on this with further die cuts. I created a little winter scene using the Little Bits - Fawn die, Evergreens dies, Build A Scene - Rolling Hills die and Stitched Circle Stacklets die. To start off with, I die cut a circle from the Sugar Cube cardstock and then die cut the fawn and smaller evergreen tree from it. 



I then die cut the same fawn and tree with colored cardstock and then inlaid it into their respective negative spaces. I also die cut a rolling hill - and then inlaid it with some silver metallic cardstock. After assembling this, I die cut the second larger evergreen tree over the smaller one - so that it would be in the foreground:



I then die cut the larger evergreen tree with a darker cardstock and then inlaid it into its respective groove. I die cut a larger circle to put the smaller circle into and also die cut the Seasons' Greetings Banner die at the top:


I then die cut the banner with Cherry Pop cardstock and inlaid it into its groove and then put everything together:


And then finally to add a little special touch - I added some silver and white Pico embellishment: as dots of snow and as a little embellishment to the hills that I then covered with some silver glitter:


Here is the final result of all the inlaid diecutting - I just love how it is flat but yet has dimension and I am in SHOCK and DISBELIEF that I didn't use any dimensional foam tape on a card!!!  Love this look:


Here is another peek - I love love love love this!


And here is another view of it from the side - see - no foam tape!! But yet - there is such a nice look and feel to this card - love it feels when you run your hand over the card and even though it is flat - you can feel the different places that dies were inlaid into the card:



Card Ingredients:
Taylored Dies: Stitched Circle Stacklets, Evergreen dies, Little Bits - Fawn, Season's Greetings die, Build A Scene Rolling Hills
Premium Cardstock: Chocolate Truffle, Granny Smith, Peapod, Sugar Cube, Salt Water Taffy, Cherry Pop and Metallics Neutrals
Inks: Memento Olive Green and Distress: Broken China
Accessories: sponger, Best Glue Ever, Adhesive Tape Runner, Pico Irresistible Embellisher (Wedding Cake and Silver)

I can't wait to make another card using this technique! Thanks so much for stopping by today! 

Hugs and Season's Greetings!
Sankari :)



Suppies Used:



2 comments:

lifesabeach32940 said...

WOW!! This is VERY COOL, and your instructions are EXCELLENT!! I think I finally understand how to do this now!! THANK YOU!!

Unknown said...

Love, love it. Must try it